Demo

The Calcutta High Court has stepped in to look more closely at what happened to the late victim’s mother from the RG Kar Hospital incident last year. She was allegedly injured during the Nabanna Abhijan rally on August 9, which marked the first death anniversary of her daughter, the young doctor who was raped and murdered last year. 

The victim’s parents had organised the rally to demand justice. But the day turned tense. The father later complained that police had carried out a lathi-charge and his wife was hurt in the conflict. She was rushed to a private hospital and discharged after treatment. 

To get the incident investigated, the father filed complaints at two police stations in Kolkata. However, both stations dismissed his claims.  

One police report said there was “no ground to proceed any further,” while the other stated that a preliminary enquiry found no evidence to support the allegation. 

On Wednesday, the case came before Justice Tirthankar Ghosh of the Calcutta High Court. The court went through the police reports and a medico-legal note that the hospital had submitted. After reviewing the documents, the judge said the hospital should be made a party to the case and ordered it to share all medical records of the victim’s mother. 

The order is significant, as the hospital records could help establish whether she was indeed injured during the protest. For the grieving family, this development offers a chance to have their version of events officially examined. 

The case is still being heard, but for the parents of the young doctor, it is another chapter in their long and painful fight for justice. 

Author

Leave A Reply